Thursday, October 11, 2007

Yes, I still spell it "Hallowe'en"

Ugh, forgive the lack of any recent updates (again). As usual I haven't really been up to anything, I'm just lazy or apathetic. Not sure which. School hasn't been taking that much of a toll, at least so far. I do have three essays due next week (one in-class) but they're fairly lightweight. Two of them I can probably knock off in the span of a day. I have the day off tomorrow in fact and could probably finish them in the span of the day. But I likely won't. As usual I will leave them all until the last minute, adding more stress than is needed and further shortening my lifespan.

I am still remarkably bored and sad and lonely. No change. I actually have gone out on consecutive weekends though, for the first time since...well, since I can recall. Two weeks ago went out just for drinks and dinner with my friend Blondie who just got back from having worked in Quebec for several months. Nothing uber-exciting there. Last Friday actually went to the same moronic Canada's Wonderland Hallowe'en thing that I went to last year. Same girl too. We actually have been talking here and there, never really lost touch. I don't think there's anything there (plus she has a boyfriend) and I'm not going to lose much sleep over it. I was never really that into her. The ones I like never, ever like me anyways. Anyhow, it was pretty much the same as last year, albeit with nicer weather, shorter lines (go figure) and it was just the two of us. None of her other jackass friends. Still, it was what it was. I may see her here and there and do whatever. That's pretty much that. Oh and I still have little tolerance for rides.

I don't expect it to be three weeks in a row however. I really should get on these minor essays and besides, I think I'd rather stay at home and get wasted anyways. Sad.

Can't say I'm all that heartbroken about the results of yesterday's provincial election here in Ontario. Though I'm a die-hard right-winger, I had serious doubt over whether or not to vote for John Tory and the Progressive Conservatives. That he is definitely a Red Tory is one thing, certainly not a deal breaker. But this election really did come down to one issue, that being his proposal to fund all faith based schools. Up against a dud of an incumbent and one who had broken several promises at that, this should have been a cakewalk. But then he comes up with this brilliant idea. I'm still not sure how it ever made it out of being something floated in the air and into being an actual campaign promise. As soon as I heard it, I was so vociferously opposed that I really had no desire to vote for this jackass. I really am amazed that he thought anyone would think this a popular idea. Tory is such a stupid fuck for bringing it up in the first place that he really did deserve to lose. Yeah it was "only a small part" of his platform, but that's like saying "well, I'm going to legalize the drunk driving but I also have a lot of other stuff as well". And then he tried to back off on it, which didn't really work either. As soon as he made the drunken promise (it had to have been) he was doomed and I knew it. I would think that everyone did. Except whatever dumb fucks are running the Ontario P.C. Party. Tory didn't even win in his own riding...he needs to get out and get out now. Here's hoping this will mean a return to the party's roots and away from this "middle of the road" conservatism.

On the flip-side, I am glad (and not at all surprised) that the referendum to institute MMP was soundly defeated. While many of its proponents will point to the fact that no one really knew what the hell it was all about (which is probably true) I also suspect that once people found out more about it, the less they liked the idea. I have no desire to live in a province where minority governments are the norm, with all sorts of messy coalitions, elections two years and ludicrous fringe parties like the Green Party having representation in the legislature. Plus it wouldn't be beneficial to the Conservatives, let's be frank.

That's all I have. I think I'm going to go check out my lavalife profile, see if any of the girls have actually gotten back to me. Yes, I'm back with the internet dating. I hate it, but it was the only thing that even remotely worked for me. When you're as lonely and desperate as I am, you'll do pretty much anything. Craigslist hookers are of course the next step.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm. I'm really suprised you didn't go for the faith-based schools idea. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what was proposed, but it seems like your cuppa tea.

-beer

October 12, 2007 8:32 AM  
Blogger Daphne said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 12, 2007 10:32 AM  
Blogger Daphne said...

I also spell it Hallowe'en.

And though I'm not particularly political, I'm damn happy the Liberals won. They had my vote - again.

October 12, 2007 10:33 AM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

No, the faith-based school idea pissed me off from the get-go. Dalton was right-on (for once) when he suggested that the further segregation of schools amounts to a greater degree of ghettoization of our children. What's next, publicly funding all language based schools, so that everyone from every separate culture and background only interacts with 'their own kind'. I don't know about you, but I don't care for the sound of that. Besides, how about spending much needed money on more important things (i.e. improving the existing systems)?

And you're probably the only person who is "damn happy" the Liberals won. Most everyone else was sort of like "Eh, whatever. I guess they're better than whats-his-face".

October 16, 2007 3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker