Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Best essay assignment ever

Okay, I need some help. I have an assignment which is driving me nuts. Not because it seems like it will be overtly long (1000 words!) or trying. Here it is:

Choose a song from the 1960s which has not been covered in class. Study the song itself, and read all you can about it and its contexts. Decide which critical approach(es) to the song would be most useful for you, and write a short essay on it.

The essay should be 800-1,000 words long. It should be presented as a formal, double-spaced typescript. Although the emphasis should be on your own discussion of the song, you may draw on secondary sources.


Sounds like a piece of cake, right? Well it should be and it seems like one of those assignments in which I'll put far more effort than is necessary. But here's my dilemma: What song should I do? I've been going nuts in regards to pouring over my music collection and picking something. It's just so difficult to pick one song! Someone please help. Please! For an idea of what king of stuff I like, click on my profile. But pretty much anything from the era, so long as it's not too jazzy or avant-garde. So please help!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Papa's Got a Brand New Bag, 1965. James Brown invents funk, invents playing on the ones. Tons have been written about it, including in his autobigraphy 'I Feel good'

-Beer

October 03, 2007 4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm gonna go with an odd impulse and suggest Midnight Confessions by the Grass Roots.

(heart) Coop

October 03, 2007 9:52 PM  
Blogger Daphne said...

I'd love to help, but none of my suggestions would be particularly helpful to you, I'm sure. When I think of great 60s music, I think of some of the best jazz of all time, and great motown.

October 05, 2007 10:23 AM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

Well, I think I'm going to go with my original choice and write about 'River Deep - Mountain High' by Ike & Tina Turner (even though Ike doesn't even appear on the record at all and had nothing to do with it).

It's Phil Spector's finest moment, with his Wall of Sound at its greatest and Tina being the only singer to ever really challenge it. Seriously, if you don't know it, listen to it NOW. Her voice is like the unstoppable force against the immovable object that is the music. It's unreal. AND it totally flopped on the charts at the time. I might make that my angle, though I'm not sure yet.

And yes, I am aware that Phil Spector should probably be in jail for murder.

Also, I would probably have done a Beatles song, but I'm doing them for my final essay.

October 06, 2007 11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker