Sunday, September 30, 2007

Textbooks are such a bloody rip-off. No wonder no one reads.

Okay, so here's the frigging deal. I'm sitting in my history lecture last week, waiting for class to begin. As people are filing in, this young lady in front of me turns and looks at me, then has this moment of recognition. She says "Oh hey, I didn't know you went here" (i.e. U of T). Though she looks vaguely familiar I must confess that at that moment I had NO IDEA where I knew her from. I respond with something typical like "Yup, for the last four years, how are you doing, etc". We chit-chat some more I think (I was sort of tired that day) and I was also talking to the fellows next to me, two very casual acquaintances that I vaguely knew from some previous courses. She asked me if I would watch her computer for her during the break while she went out for a smoke. That's when it clicked in that she regularly came in to buy cigarettes from me at the old cigar shoppe. I must say that I was rather ashamed of myself to this point, seeing as she's something of a looker and to not have known who she was made me feel pretty dumb.

Fast forward to Friday, when lo and behold, she comes in to buy a pack of smokes! I actually do remember what her brand is, so I suppose that counts for something. I also surmise that she works somewhere in the mall, though I don't think I've ever established the location. This time I'm not so much of a jackass and ask something about what her major is and what year she's in. I also realize that I have no idea what her name is and introduce myself and she does likewise. So we're just chatting about classes and she mentions that she's taking a course that I had previously taken (Film Studies). I tell her that the prof is a good guy and casually mention that it's too bad I didn't know she was taking it sooner, I'd have sold her my old text book. She replies that she's actually not purchased it yet and would be keen on buying it from me. I say "Hey sure, I'll give it to you for really cheap if you want, it's barely been used, etc". She says that would be great. "I'll give you my number...and I guess my email too. Let me know" or something like that. I guess she had to go to work and that was that.

So my thing is this: Should I call her? Email regarding this book? Just bring it to class and be done with it? I know I have this habit of reading something into nothing. In fact, I don't even know how to continue with this post. Maybe I'm just so very desperate that I'm willing to think that some girl who wants a deal on an expensive text book has even the slightest interest in me.

Nevermind. Let's forget this post even happened.

6 Comments:

Blogger Daphne said...

My two cents: email her about the textbook

October 01, 2007 10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

email her about the TEXTbook. or TEXT message about the TEXT book. Soon you'll move from TEXT messaging to SEX messaging.

Fuck, I'm sorry. I'm just really bored.
But seriously, call or email her. You said you would, didn't you? That's pretty much all you have to know.

-Beer

October 02, 2007 12:23 PM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

So just "Hey, I'll bring that book to class tomorrow if you want" and that's sufficient? Not "Hey, how about instead of bringing the book to class, I'll just swing it by your place"?

No? I don't know. Gawd, I'm useless.

October 02, 2007 3:20 PM  
Blogger Daphne said...

No. Just a "hey, if you still want that book, I'll bring it to class tomorrow" should be fine. Don't push it.

October 02, 2007 9:50 PM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

A very simple email was sent. I might sell my book. Nothing more is likely to come of it. Sigh.

P.S. Beer, when do I get to see your swanky new digs?

October 03, 2007 11:05 AM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

So I email her about the book, that if she wants it to flag me down during class or whatever. This was on Wednesday. Not only did the bitch not flag me down, she didn't even respond to the email. Bitch.

October 06, 2007 11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker