Thursday, June 08, 2006

Television CAN take my mind off my miserable life

Fudge, I'm still pretty mad and such, but I have cooled down a little bit. This past weekend wasn't really that bad, I suppose. Friday night I went out to see X-Men: The Last Stand with Marty Boy (it was alright, but certainly the least of the three) and on Saturday had dinner and saw The Da Vinci Code with my friend / co-worker Ursula (I've not read the book, but I think the film is almost laughable, predictable and overlong, though Ian McKellan almost saves it). At any rate doing stuff, even if it wasn't anything spectacular, took my mind off my miserable life. Again, I know it's not that bad, but I just feel so lonely sometimes. I really do need a girlfriend. Sigh.

While talking with Marty Boy, the conversation somehow got on the topic of television theme songs. So that got me to thinking on what the best of all-time are. This list is the best I could do off the top of my head, but I think it's pretty good. Here's my top ten, in order. I had about six or seven others that were strongly considered, but didn't quite make it. M*A*S*H didn't make it because it was from the movie first. Other than that, debate and discuss, let me know if you think I forgot anything.

10. Monday Night Football- Are you ready for some football? I sure am, Hank Williams Jr. is and if you're not then you're not welcome at my house on Monday nights.

9. "Those Were The Days" from All In The Family- Yes, neither Carroll O’Connor nor Maureen Stapleton could sing, but the song is so warm and fuzzy that I don't care.

8. The Amazing Spider-Man- A song so cool that it was covered by The Ramones! They even played it when I saw them in concert. Good times.

7. The Andy Griffith Show- Man, that cute little kid in the opening turned into the hack who brought us Willow and How The Grinch Stole Christmas.

6. The Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson- I think I wrote about how much I loved this song back on the old blog. I still do! P.S. My mom thinks Craig Ferguson is hot. For real!

5. Mission: Impossible- The song is of course a total classic, but to tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever seen a single episode of the show!

4. Cheers- I really love this song, it's just so comforting. Plus, the guy who sings it sounds sort of like Woody, but it isn't him. I checked.

3. Sesame Street- Ah, I've known the words to this song since I was probably three or four. It might be the first song that I ever learned!

2. The Rockford Files- Mike Post was the king of the instrumental TV theme, with great themes like Magnum P.I. and Quantum Leap. But this is his best.

1. "Woke Up This Morning" from The Sopranos- I think I may have written about this one before too. Anyways, for me nothing beats Tony Soprano cruising down the New Jersey turnpike with a cigar in his mouth, ready to kick some serious ass.

2 Comments:

Blogger King Hippo said...

D Rock, your list is pretty solid, with the exception of TMNT (sorry, it's not THAT cool) and that damned Friends song. I especially like your pick of Hawaii Five-O , I totally forgot about that one. And yes, the Sesame Street theme I love and remember is the original from my childhood, not the crappy reggae/rock/world music fusion (which is a pretty accurate description!)

As for Who's The Boss , D Rock totally read my mind on that one...if I include that, I might as well include Mr. Belvedere, Growing Pains, Golden Girls and a whole whack of crappy 80's theme songs of the same ilk. To be fair though, WTB is far and away the best song of that bunch

June 12, 2006 5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about Fresh Prince of BelAir. I mean, we all know the words, and we even sang it in our grade 10 drama production.

(heart) Dosi

June 14, 2006 3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker