Friday, May 12, 2006

My love for this show does NOT make me a homosexual

Surprisingly, despite the fact I:

A-Am very lazy

B- Have no life

I don't really watch that much television. I mean, I do, but nothing in particular. During the day I watch re-runs of Star Trek: The Next Generation on Spike TV and I'll watch old episodes of South Park and Seinfeld when they happen to come on, but there's nothing that I really sit down to watch especially. If I'm around during so-called "Prime Time" I'll usually just watch baseball and failing that, I'm probably unconscious. However, there is one program that I do watch every single week, taping it if necessary. That show is Gilmore Girls.

Say what you will about me, but it's a great show with fun, eccentric characters, witty writing and involving stories. I think it's the best show on television right now, indeed the only one I make a point of watching. This past Tuesday was the season finale of Gilmore Girls and likely the last episode with creator Amy Sherman-Palladino and her husband Daniel Palladino, at the helm. The two couldn't come to terms with the studio over a contract beyond this season, so this past episode was their swan song. The show, which airs on the WB network, hasn't officially been renewed, but it's one of the top rated shows on the WB and will almost certainly be moved over to the newly created CW Network, which will be the amalgamation of the WB and UPN. But I don't know if it will be the same without the Palladinos.

*SPOILER WARNING*

Those who haven't seen the episode, please read no further. Thank you. As we begin the episode, we see Lorelai, on Sookie and Jackson's couch, presumably having slept there the night previous. Seems all the concern she has over her pending (?) marriage to Luke hasn't gone away is still there. Sookie and Jackson talk about her and the situation, thinking she's still asleep, but her eyes are wide open, the most desolate of looks on her face. Poor thing. Over at Yale, Logan has come home following his accident, Rory playing the nurse role. His graduation looms, as does the fact that his newspaper tycoon dad, Mitchum, is shipping him over to London for an entire year. I sure as hell hope this spells the end of their relationship. I've given that Logan every chance, but I still can't see what Rory sees in him. I guess girls really do like assholes. Sometimes he seems like a decent fellow, but I just can't shake the feeling that he'd only end up hurting her. Sigh, she can do so much better, someone who would never hurt her....someone like me. Sigh. It'll never happen. I'll never get a pretty girl like that. None of them ever give me the time of day. I wish them all pain and suffering. But I digress. Maybe this means a reconciliation with Jess...I don't know where this one will lead, but it does look like Logan is gone for the foreseeable future.

Moving back to Lorelai, she and Rory attend Friday night dinner at Richard and Emily's (Lorelai's parents) and are shocked to find Christopher (Rory's dad) invited, along with the daughter of one of Emily's friends. The obvious setup between Chris and this lady doesn't go over, but on her way out, Lorelai stops to chat with this lady (who happens to be a psychiatrist) and indeed has an impromptu session in her car, regarding all the recent shit that's been going on in her life. When she returns to Star's Hollow, she goes straight to Luke's Diner, having previously been avoiding him for the last little while. She suggests the two elope and Luke pushes her suggestion aside, saying he just isn't ready, what with his daughter and such. Lorelai seems to give him a 'now or never' ultimatum and when he doesn't relent, she leaves. Devastated, she doesn't know who to turn to....so we see her knock at Christopher's door. Flash forward to the next morning, with Lorelai lying in his bed. Christopher returns to bed and we fade out with Lorelai having the exact same pained expression she had at the outset of the show.

Other than the useless and rather loopy subplot involving the influx of troubadours into the town (don't ask), I think that Amy and Daniel went out on a high. I don't have any idea where Rory will go from here, but the Lorelai thing seems to be pretty interesting. I mean, I thought for sure that she and Luke were going to get married, it seemed like it was a match made in heaven. But along comes the daughter we never knew he had and the Lorelai just not being able to reconcile the marriage in her mind. Now where does the father of her child factor into things? Christopher has occasionally been something of a dick in the past, but lately he's really been there for his daughter, not to mention her mother. Luke on the other hand, hasn't exactly been the nicest of fellow....I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I'd like to see Lorelai and Chris wind up together. I don't know anymore.

*END OF SPOLIERS*

So that's it. No more Gilmore Girls until fall. Again, though it hasn't been officially renewed, they just can't end it like this...even without the Palladinos, I still think there's life in the show. I just pray it isn't like Seinfeld post-Larry David or The West Wing without Aaron Sorkin. Let's hope it keeps going, as strong as before.

3 Comments:

Blogger Amberly said...

For some odd reason.....I think they talk too fast on that show, not the best acting in my opinion. But Rory is adorable.

May 16, 2006 9:49 AM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

I for one like the fast talking and think that the acting if just fine, Lauren Graham especially. And Rory is so very adorable indeed...though I do confess to thinking impure thoughts about her from time to time.

May 16, 2006 7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»

July 22, 2006 10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker