Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Concerning soccer, er I mean "football"

Is it just me or is soccer (AKA 'football') mind numbingly boring? I mean I'm trying to get into this World Cup thing and watch a few games when I can, but soccer is just so excruciatingly dull. They run around this huge field which seems to be several miles long and nothing ever seems to happen. On the rare instances that the ball actually does come near the goal, there is some excitement, but that only lasts a few seconds at best. If it were up to me, I'd shrink the field by maybe a third and maybe have 8 guys instead of 11. Maybe then some shit would actually happen. But then again, what do I know? I'm just a typical North American who doesn't really 'get it' I suppose. People wonder at how I like baseball so much, seeing as it's somewhat slow moving, but at least shit happens. Oh well. This being said, I am officially pulling for England. Both of my parents are actually of Ukrainian heritage, so I suppose I should be rooting for the Ukraine, but I've always gone for England, seeing as I'm a big Anglophile, so it's not really right to switch sides now.

On another note, is it just me or are all these damned flags on cars during the World Cup sort of silly? I know the reasoning behind it is to show where one's allegiance lies, but can't you just wear a cap or t-shirt to show support for your team? I love the Blue Jays, but I don't have a flag on my car. If I want to let people know I'm a fan, I'll wear a jersey. If the whole flag thing is a display of nationalism, well I guess that's another matter. But if one has a flag of their favourite country during the tournament, why not have a Canadian flag right next to it? How about showing your love for the great country with the high standard of living that you reside in? You know, the one with free health care, great education, free speech, low crime rate and all sorts of other great stuff? I'm not going to say something like "If you like Brazil or wherever so much, go live there" because I know that's not fair to say and beside the point. But if you want to show some national pride, what about the great country you're living in right now? I think I'll design my own flag and fly it on my car, just to mess with people (and show just how absurd the whole thing really is).

So anyways, my weekend was a huge bust, all I did was go to some Christian youth thing on Sunday night that I was invited to by a classmate. I don't know why I went, I suppose I had nothing else to do. I thought I’d maybe meet some people, but that wasn't really the case. It was more of a (terrible) concert than a social gathering. I really only went hoping to meet girls. I know, that's not really nice of me. I spent the whole service / concert checking out the hot singer in the band, but I never got a chance to talk to her. If it were more of a mixer or whatever, I'd consider going again, but please, no more awful Jesus-rock. I just want to meet people (girls specifically), not listen to Christian music. I'm a horrid man, I know.

So that was my lousy weekend. Also my television broke on Saturday. I have to get a new one. Yes, we have other sets in the house, but I don't really like leaving my room if I can help it. On the plus, my mom might be able to get my one for free (!!) which would be nice. Also nice is that I'm going to see legendary soul-pop duo Hall & Oates in August! Yes, they're coming to the Hummingbird Centre downtown. I decided to grab a couple of tickets, even if I don't have anyone to go with just yet. I'm sure I'll find someone before then (I hope). At this moment, I'm actually waiting to hear back from a young lady that I have some tentative plans with tomorrow...fingers crossed, I do hope she calls me back. I wasn't going to say anything for fear I might jinx things, but whatever. She seemed genuinely interested in doing something with me; I just hope all goes well. Man, I hate waiting for a call. Not that I'm dreading the call itself, I can never be sure that I'm going to get it. Please, please, please call....I can't stand the waiting. Truly, the waiting is the hardest part.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike D said...

I have to say dude it's just you. But then again I'm bored to tears watching baseball. I find the lack of stoppage other than injuries, corners, free kicks and offsides means that football has a flow to it that no other sport has. I know it looks like much of the time not a lot happens but that's a team trying to force a mistake by the other team to create a scoring opportunity. But for me one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game is the careful strategising that plays such a crucial role in deciding the game. Still I'll admit I hate the acting and diving that has become such a big part of the game and deciding a game i penalty kicks is always stupid. Next to a well played hockey game nothing entertains me like a football match.

As for the flags it is a little silly. They look just as dumb when they are Leafs flags during the Stanley cup playoff. But in all seriousness nationalism when deeply connected to sports can be dangerous. Generally though during the World Cup people here in Toronto don't do anything worse than immpead some traffic. As for the lack of Canadian pride, well, Canada's not in the tournament and even if it it would be far from a powehouse. But that being said part of the Canadian identity is the cultural moasic so I hardly see an issue with showing support for the old country. I also think immigrants really do love Canada. Heck they are choosing to live here now. So I see nothing wrong with people having a little nostalgia for the old country every four years. Really, it's not as if you see this during the Olympics or any other event.

June 14, 2006 11:18 PM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

Firstly, please note that I only refer to soccer as 'football' when I put it in quotations. Real football is the kind played in the NFL and to a lesser extent, the CFL. Sorry.

Secondly, I guess it's just one of those things I'm not really ever going to get into. Yes, there's not any stoppage, but NOTHING ever happens. They just run around a lot it seems. Goals and near goals are fun, but they happen far too little for my liking. As for hockey, I think I've slowly gone from casually enjoying it to relative indifference to outright hating it. I suppose it's better now with the new rules, but I just don't care. I haven't watched a single playoff game. I'd rather stick to baseball or the NBA playoffs (which are actually fun).

Lastly, I do not at all doubt that the people who choose to immigrate here love Canada (or at least find it a better alternative to where they were before). That's cool. But I don't think it's just immigrants who have flags on their cars, far from it. That's not a point I was trying to make. What I do think is that people should have more national pride in general, Canada first, wherever else second. That's all. I guess this means I prefer the melting pot to the mosaic. But that's just me.

Hope this clarifies my position some!

June 15, 2006 10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker