Wednesday, December 14, 2005

As of midnight tomorrow, my life is over.

Yes, whatever semblance of a social life I had, ends tomorrow. As of December 16th, I am no longer insured to drive "my" car. You see, due to the fact I've gotten two speeding tickets, the company will no longer insure me. The car which I had, is actually owned by my father, purchased under his name and insured under his name. Really, I'm just the driver. He is listed as primary driver and my sister and I are secondary. Or now, she is. So it's her car now. I am not insured to drive anything. I could buy my own car and find insurance elsewhere, but I really don't know how costly that would be. Almost certainly more than I can afford.

Now I know that a lot of people don't have cars, but for me it's a greater setback than most in regards to any sort of social aspect. Most people have many friends and can easily score rides. Not me. Failing that, they live in the city and have access to a large mass transit system. Most of their friends live close as well. Not so for me. I mean, if I were cooler, more attractive, more fun, more popular, I could get away with it. But I'm not. Having access to a car was at least one thing I had going for me. Now what do I have? Not much.

So, it's over. My social life, which had long been on life support, is now terminated. Not like I really had many places to go, but still what few things I did have to do, are now kaput. Doing anything with my friend Blondie? Not going to happen anymore. She doesn't drive. Having the ability to go to something like that karaoke party a few weeks back? Not really even an option anymore. I guess I'll still be able to have drinks with Marty Boy every now and then and talk football, but that's about it. How sad. I'm not even going to get into what this will do in regards to dating. No one's going to want to go out with some loser who doesn't drive. Yes, I'm sure few women would admit to that, but by and large, I know it's the truth. If I lived on my own, fine. Not such a big deal. Now I'm a loser who doesn't drive and lives at home. If I were 16 this would be acceptable, but not at 24. If I were female, it wouldn't really be a problem. Sorry, but there is a double standard here, like it or not. This really is emasculating. And just the sheer logistics of it. I mean, I meet a girl on the internet, let's say. She lives in Hamilton let's say. Only a 25-30 minute drive. But how would I get there now? Exactly.

24 years old...living at home...no car, no friend, nothing going on. What a catch. Sorry about the miserable post. I just feel so worthless now. I'll try and post something amusing tomorrow.

5 Comments:

Blogger Daphne said...

Oh My God. Quit your freaking whining!!! You make it sound as though you lost your right arm! I am TWENTY-SIX and I have NEVER owned a car. I live in fricking LONDON which has not even a quarter the public transit options that Toronto has. I have still managed to get through 5 years of school (all of which took 1 hour on the bus each way) and still managed to have a social life without a car. I have bussed to work since I was 17. My best friend lives OUTSIDE Effing Kingston, and I still manage to go see her! My boyfriend lives 2 1/2 hours away by bus, and I went to see him every weekend for months.

I know you'll say "it doesn't matter because you're a girl," but I think that's bullshit. Life does not revolve around your vehicle, no matter your sex. If you believe that your whole existance relies on your car, well, I guess I just don't know what to say to that.

December 14, 2005 6:21 PM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

Sorry, but I really must disagree. I'm not saying it's right, but there is a double standard here. It is FAR more acceptable for a lady not to have a car than a guy. Whether girls will admit it or not, having a car does make a difference. Guys don't care whether or not a lady has a ride. They're expected to do the driving. Again, I am NOT saying this is right, it's just the way it is. Trust me, no girl is going to go out of her way to meet me by public transportation or to pick me up. Guys like me don't have that luxury.

Maybe if I lived in the city or was younger or on my own or whatever, it might be different. But it really is a gender issue. I feel like less of a man. I know that may be stupid to some, but I'm not exactly teeming with confidence. This certainly does not help. Getting to school and work through other means aren't a problem. I can easily handle that. But trying to explain that I can't pick you up because I have to take the bus? That just doesn't fly.

December 14, 2005 9:05 PM  
Blogger LU said...

i went out for a guy for a whole year who didn't have a car. i drove us everywhere. i picked him up, i dropped him off, he lived a 20 minute drive from me and the relationship survived... (until i realized what an asshole he was, but that had nothing to do with his lack of transportation).
and just for the record, he was not overly attractive, charming, or well liked.

December 16, 2005 1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aren't you getting drunk tonight with us somewhere in toronto?

sweet!

(heart) Dosi

December 16, 2005 6:13 PM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

I am? If I was, no one told me. I guess whatever it was, I wasn't invited. Ouch.

December 16, 2005 10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker