Thursday, November 10, 2005

A rant

As I said last post, from now on there'll be a healthy mix of pop culture / political opinion / agonizing self-pity on this blog, in order to show people that I'm not just a sorry, wretched, self loathing, manic depressive loser. Today, let's try for the politicizing, with a bit of my own unhappy life mixed in.

Tomorrow, for those of you who don't know, is Remembrance Day (Veteran's Day in the States) and this year marked the 60th anniversary of the end of World War II. Now I know there aren't that many WW2 and Korean War veterans as there once were and very few from the first World War left, but I hope we as Canadians never forget the sacrifice these brave men and women made, to ensure that future generations, such as us, could live in a world of freedom and prosperity. I'm not going to get into that any more, seeing as others touch on it all the time and certainly more eloquently than I. But one thing that really, REALLY bothers me, is the fact that I see so very few people wearing poppies, in support and remembrance of our brave veterans. I ride the subway in Toronto almost everyday, go to the biggest university in the country, work in the largest mall in the province. It's fair to say that I see a lot of people. And so very few of them are wearing poppies. It saddens me, really. And it's not just young people. I take a mental note of who's wearing one and those who are (and by extension, those who are not), don't fall into any specific demographic, old or young, black or white, men or women. The only breakdown that I can see is: Those who care vs. those who don't. It's that simple. Yeah, I know those things fall off easily and it's easy to forget to put it on in the morning, whatever. I have mine on everyday, it's not that hard. If I happen to loose it (which, remarkably this year I haven't), I'll put another $.50-$1.00 in the box and get another one. I know this is something I should have said well before Remembrance Day, but as usual, better late than never. I'm sure much of it has to do with apathy or whatever. But I swear, I used to see more poppies in years passed. Maybe people really are forgetting. I pray that isn't the case.

I remember back in high school, I believe it was an English class, where the class was having some discussion or rather about Remembrance Day. I don't remember the particulars of it very well, but I do remember one comment a fellow classmate made. He went on about how he didn't think we should be celebrating Remembrance Day or wearing poppies and all that, as it glorified war etc. Of course, he was just a stupid high school student who missed the point entirely, but that didn't stop me from letting him have it. I mean, I freaked out at this ignorant dumbass. I think I actually did call him ignorant. I'm not sure what that has to do with the poppy thing, but I just thought of it. I guess it's just the stupid liberal mentality a lot of young people have these days. Really, what the fuck is wrong with young people these days? The liberal media and school systems are seriously warping them. That and the fact that conservatives just don't have the backbone they once did. I mean, you teenagers setting fire to cars in violent protest, you give them one warning and the you shoot them. To kill. I am not joking. I don't know how I got to there from Remembrance Day. Something to do with a liberal mindset. It angers me. I'll stop now.

On a lighter note, this really cute red haired girl sat beside me in my film tutorial today. I think I have a crush on her. She asked me if I the prof said anything important before the screening yesterday, I said that I missed the screening and that I often rent the films and watch them at home, so as to avoid having to get up at 7:00 AM every Wednesday. I wanted to say something else, maybe start some sort of conversation, but class was about to start and besides, I had no idea what to say. I never know what to say. Why am I so stupid?

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you totally. I also notice who is and who isn't wearing a poppy. Somehow it bothers me more when I don't see the more elderly wearing them. I've gotten in to the habit of picking up fallen poppies on the ground and complain to those who 'disrespect' them. I so far have 8, only two of which I've actually paid for, and the rest have been ones that I've seen laying on the ground. I'm not that old, but I really do appreciate Rememberance Day and I think there should be more than just one day of the entire year that should be celebrated.
I also agree with how some people just don't get it. How it's all just a 'waste of time'. This is complete and utter bull and I really get upset when I hear someone say that. I just wish people were more open minded and could appreciate the freedom and everything else these men and women have given us. It goes by un-noticed far too much.

November 11, 2005 2:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The logic of this post is breathtaking.

Do you know anything about the people you see not wearing a poppy?

Do you know anything about their family history?

Perhaps they know someone or have relatives who were lost in military combat.

You assume that they don't care, "It's that simple".

For all you know they could've donated money, time, clothing, whatever this Remembrance Day.

The poppy is a symbol used to remind people to remember.

It's not the act of remembering itself.

You want to wear one, you want to remind others? Fine. That's you.

Some people don't need the "once a year" visual signifier to recall what others have done.

It's amazing. Can you really argue that because someone doesn't have on a synthetic flower worth .02 cents, they "Don't care" about people?

What if someone has a real poppy pinned to their lapel? Do they remember or "care" more than everyone else?

What about people who don't wear AIDS & Cancer ribbons/bracelets? They obviously don't care about those diseases, right?

You say you don't see any specific demographic not wearing one but then launch into attacks on liberals and the "liberal mindset".

Are all those individuals you see not wearing poppies obviously "liberal" in your mind?

Wear a poppy if you like, but be aware of what doing so is exactly meant to accomplish.

Not everyone has to wear one and they definitely shouldn't be chastised for not doing so.

This is really pathetic. It seems like you're just trolling for an argument here.

November 11, 2005 1:45 PM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

Pardon me, anonymous asshole, but it doesn't seem like you get it at all or you're just not able to read closely.

First off, my attack on the liberal mindset was a digression, which I admitted to.

"I'm not sure what that has to do with the poppy thing, but I just thought of it."

It just reminded me about that one incident, I never meant to suggest that it was only liberals who do not wear poppies, support our veterans, etc. The third paragraph and the second really have little to do with one another. Nowhere do I say or imply that all those who do not wear poppies are "liberals". My beef with them is totally seperate.

As for your statement in bold (btw, it looks like you've never learned proper paragraph structure, well done), as far as I'm concerned wearing a poppy sure as hell is part of the act of remembering. Is that all there is to it? Of course not. By sticking that little piece of plastic to your lapel every morning, you're telling people "I remember and you should too".

Certainly not all people who don't wear poppies don't care. But when I ride the subway and I see that AT LEAST 90% of the people I see don't have them on, something is wrong. Do all of those 90% not care? I'm sure that isn't the case, but don't try to tell me that all of them do. I could be wrong (and I hope I am), but the tone of your reply seems to suggest that you don't wear one.

You end by saying not everyone has to wear one. No, they don't. This is a free country, after all. You can affix whatsoever you like to your jacket, thanks in part to the people who fought for our freedom many years ago. I for one, choose to wear a poppy. I care. I want to people to know that I remember. Poppy on lapel = I care. Yeah, for me it is that simple.

And just to let you know, I was certainly not trolling for an argument. I was simply stating my opinion on this subject, nothing more. But you (whoever you are) decided to take the bait. How pathetic!

November 11, 2005 2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Poppy on lapel = I care."

Well that just says it all, don't it?

Ridiculous.

You know it's really interesting to see how your mind works.

Someone who makes a mental note of those people around them who do and don't wear a poppy and divides them into "cares" & "doesn't care".

It seems impossible for you to see that there isn't a direct correlation there.

Has it even ever occurred to you that some people wear it simply for wearing it's sake?

What does "proper paragraph structure" have to do with anything we are talking about? That seems like a desperate and uncalled for jab with no bearing on the issue at hand.

I took the "bait" once to express my disgust at this post. I won't bother again. My previous comment, which you barely addressed, is quite successful in refuting your silly position.

November 11, 2005 3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see both sides of the argument, and truthfully, I think Anonymous, you seriously don't need to take this in such a bad manner. There are points that you both state that I agree and disagree with, and honestly, I'm quite proud to wear my poppy.

For those who choose not to wear one, that's totally fine and that's up to them. Free country, right? But by also wearing one it IS the symbol of remembering, and by no means and I implying that those who do NOT wear one "just don't care." I know when I was younger I went without wearing a poppy and I felt horrible because I felt that people didn't know that I cared, and that wasn't the case at all.

Overall, I am neither with nor against each, but honestly Anonymous, I don't believe there was much call for such a nasty comment to the blog.

November 11, 2005 3:45 PM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

I really shouldn't bother with this anymore. The problem with posting any sort of opinion piece, is always getting these people with so much time on their hands, who have nothing better to do then write lengthy replies to posts. They just like to agrue and mix things up.

I could rearticulate this further, but I really don't have the energy. My wearing a poppy doesn't make me bette than someone who isn't, but yes, it does mean I took those few seconds to put it on in the morning and while I did so, thought of what's behind it. I support Remembrance Day. I wear the poppy. That's not to say that those who don't wear one don't support the principles of Remembrance Day. I'm sure that many of them do. But they really should get on the ball and take those few seconds to get one and put it on. I don't know why someone objects to this so strongly.

Some people just don't think to wear one or they forget or whatever. Yeah I find this a bit sad, but to me it's not nearly as bad as someone who actively chooses not to wear one.

If you choose not to wear one, fine. So be it. Maybe you don't think you need to do so, for whatever reason. Maybe you like being different, being a non-comformist, whatever. But the poppy is the symbol of remembrance. Face that fact and get over yourself.

I'm sick of arguing with some anonymous person who's very possibly arguing for argument's sake. I'll speak no more on this. I think I've addressed it quite enough.

And my I felt the need to mention your lack of proper paragraph structure seeing as that's how civilized, intelligent people usually express written ideas, not point form.

November 12, 2005 8:58 PM  
Blogger Albert said...

i hate blogs and i hate you all

November 12, 2005 9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sick of arguing with someone after two replies? I'm guessing you don't like having your opinions questioned. I wonder why that is?

Just curious, do "civilized, intelligent people" also begin a rebuttal with "Pardon me, anonymous asshole"?

November 13, 2005 3:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rock on, Anonymous. I second pretty well all of that. Do you wear a coloured ribbon during each Cancer campaign? What about AIDS? What about a symbol for every other very important cause? Just because you don't, doesn't mean you care about that particular cause less. While I have worn a poppy on my lapel for the last few weeks, I don't think less of those who do not. It does not mean they care about remembering less than I do. It simply means they don't wear a poppy on their lapel. Plain and simple.

November 14, 2005 11:12 PM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

I really, honest-to-God, don't want to belabor this anymore. I said that the last post would be my last comment, but still I'm attacked. I'm rather swamped with schoolwork and I think I'm coming down with something, yet again, but I'll make a few more points in reply.

Firstly, yes I am sick of arguing after two posts. I don't care much for it. At heart, I am really not a confrontational person. I have no problem with discussing issues and whathaveyou, but I really don't care at all for nasty arguments. I am very happy to have my opinions questioned, so long as it's done in a civil, rational manner. Politically, I am miles apart from most of my friends, yet we still haven't killed each other. Anyone and everyone is free to disagree with me as they please, but as 'rain' said, it really was a nasty comment. Had the tone of the comment been more polite, I can assure you my response(s) would have been as well. I'll only call someone an asshole if they truly deserve it. Blog trolls certainly fall into that catagory.

As to Adrien's comment, I'm happy to respond to it in a polite and civilized manner, seeing as s/he offered up polite disagreement with my stance.

You are right, I do not wear an AIDS ribbon or whatnot. Does that mean I don't care? Or course not. But I really feel that with Remembrance Day there is a sort of double standard. It's a national holiday and while that in itself doesn't make it any more important than AIDS or cancer, I think as Canadians we have a duty to celebrate and remember it. I feel proud to wear a poppy in support of our veterans and of our past.

For real, this is the last I will ever post on this. This is my stance, other people are free to have theirs. However, this is my blog and I think I should get the last word. If anyone wants to debate this further, get your own blog. It's a free internet.

November 15, 2005 12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"At heart, I am really not a confrontational person."

"I mean, you teenagers setting fire to cars in violent protest, you give them one warning and the you shoot them. To kill. I am not joking."

You could have fooled me.

"I am very happy to have my opinions questioned, so long as it's done in a civil, rational manner."

Am I missing something? How exactly were the comments by Anonymous uncivilized or irrational?

"I'll only call someone an asshole if they truly deserve it."

How refined.

"I feel proud to wear a poppy in support of our veterans and of our past."

Great, but you still have not properly explained why others are obligated to do so.

"However, this is my blog and I think I should get the last word."

It's true, it is your blog. Quell the voices of opposition.

November 15, 2005 2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker