Tuesday, November 08, 2005

"When this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit"

So I've come to realize that this blog is a touch one-dimensional. All I ever do on it is talk (mostly gripe) about my wretched life. It's starting to bore even me and I like talking about me. So I think from now on, I'll throw in some posts related to useless pop-culture (just like the old Worst Blog in History) and maybe a few of my right-wing nut-job political rants. I'll try to restrain myself on the latter as best I can. We'll start with the former today, though.

On Saturday, I realized that it was the 20th anniversary of young Marty McFly's fateful trip back to 1955 (or the 50th anniversary of that. Whichever). I was going to do a post to mark the occasion, but totally forgot, only to remember now. Better late than never. So I'll just reminisce a bit about one of my favourite movie trilogies, if I may, perhaps in point form.

-BTTF II was on TBS a couple of weeks back and resulted in me not finishing an assignment on time. I planned to pull an all-nighter to finish it, but BTTF II was on and that was that. For some damned reason, it seems like Part II is on TV the most, despite the fact it makes very little sense on its own, unlike the other two. And yes, I think BTTF III is better than Part II. The second film has some fun bits, like the hoverboards (they're real in Japan!) and the whole revisiting of the first movie, but much of it is a convoluted mess. And yet still I watch it at 3:00 in the morning, despite the fact I own the DVDs.



















-Of course the film, along with Family Ties,helped make Michael J. Fox a star but as some people may know, he was not the original Marty. Well, okay, he was and he wasn't. He was the producers' first choice, but passed on the role (he didn't think he could juggle both that and his TV show). So they cast Eric Stoltz (see above) and filmed quite a bit of the movie with Stoltz as Marty. When Fox changed his mind, they fired Stoltz and re-did all his scenes. However, Eric Stoltz can be seen in the film for a split second. It's the scene where Marty first leaps head first into the DeLorean. Freeze frame it on DVD and you can clearly see Eric Stoltz performing the stunt! Fun!

-As you can see, my favourite quote from the movie is up top, but what's the best scene? A few stand out, of course. The DeLorean disappearing in front of Doc and Marty, Marty appearing to George as "Darth Vader", Lorraine and George dancing to "Earth Angel" and of course the race towards the clock tower are all fantastic. But for me, it's the scene where Crispen Glover punches out Thomas F. Wilson. For me, that's the real climax of the film. The music builds, Biff laughing all evil-like and Glover with the determined look on his face are just perfect. Once he lays Biff out, you know that everything is going to be okay. I love it.

-Even I, in my crappy Honda Civic, have managed to hit 88 MPH on many occasions. I am still here. I hate my life.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amberly said...

That is so funny that you're posting about this. I watched BTTF II when it was on TV this weekend and then made Scooter rent part III right after because I "had to watch it right away". A freaking great trilogy!

November 09, 2005 9:33 AM  
Blogger Daphne said...

Agreed. It's definitely up there in the "great trilogies" category. Alongside the Indiana Jones movies, and the original Star Wars trilogy.

November 09, 2005 11:12 AM  
Blogger Beer said...

Man, I love those movies. And I've always felt that part II is rarely played on TV, which has led to it's mythic status (that and the hoverboards) I will say this, however, that music gets incredibly annoying, particulalrly if you watch any of the movies in close proximity to each other.

November 09, 2005 1:56 PM  
Blogger Daphne said...

Rambo? RAMBO?? Oh D Rock. You have been led astray. you must be confusing "greatness" with "crappiness"

November 09, 2005 4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker