Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The number 3

It's been said that bad things tend to happen in 3's. I wonder if the same is true of good things? So far it's been a decent week. Tuesday I woke up at 6:00 AM (I didn't even know there was a 6:00 AM) for the second round of course selection. After being royally screwed the first time, I was not only able to get the two film classes I wanted, but also change my Shakespeare course from the un-Godly 9:00 AM (I hate mornings, can you tell?) to a more reasonable hour. Score. I pretty much have all my classes the exact way I want them next year.

Then today, despite all conventional wisdom, I actually passed my driving test. All the highway stuff went well (I do drive on the freeway a lot), plus I actually managed to parallel park on the first try! I really just got lucky. I'd have done as well had I had my eyes closed, I'm sure. So I now have my G licence and can drink and drive (well, I can have one or two). More importantly, I never have to take another driving exam ever! Very nice. The classes I want, plus a full licence...pretty good so far. Now what about number three?

Perhaps I'll win the lottery, likely not. It'd be nice, but that's probably asking too much. There is one thing I know that'd be great, but it's probably asking too much as well. I'm not even going to mention it, for fear on jinxing myself. Perhaps even expecting anything to happen is me setting myself up for a letdown. I tend to do that all the time. I was pessimistic in regards to me getting the courses I wanted and didn't give myself much chance of passing the test. Both worked out. So I have no reason not to be optimistic that maybe something else nice might happen, something unexpected. People often tell me that I have a bad attitude, it being at least part of the reason things never happen to me. Well, I'm hopeful, I'm optimistic. Let's see what happens with a positive outlook. Let's see if God or the cosmos or whatever is truly against me or if perhaps, I get thrown a bone here and there.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amberly said...

Glad to see that you're not hating the world as much today.

August 11, 2005 9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Hippo,

You like 3 eh? I suggest listening to track 3 off Electric Six's new album. Are you ready for the number 3??? I think not!

Also, grats on the lisence, you are the man. And congrats on getting the courses you wanted. Now for that final step... ask the girl....

Abooya

(heart) Dave

August 11, 2005 10:42 AM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

I did ask her. She said no (or more acurately, did not say yes). What I got was a very non-committal answer, ie:

Q- What are you doing on Friday?

A- I don't know.

Q- Would you like to do something?

A- I don't know.

Not a great vibe. I can't say I'm shocked. Time to go drink alone again.

August 11, 2005 5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, well, that's not as bad as a flat out no.

I guess the thing about the net is that perhaps there may be reasons to be hesitent.

Perhaps you should use your masterful grasp of the English language and comedy to ask in a more funny way.

I usually like to say something along the lines of

"Hey Baby, I am petitioning for the pleasure of your company sometime in the not too distant future"

OR...

"Hey Baby, I am formally requesting the acquisition of your company if it does not hinder your current status"

These usually fail. But results are often humourous.

(heart) Dave

August 12, 2005 1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker