Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Happy B*rthd*y to Me

First off, I'm going for my G road test tomorrow. I didn't start driving until I was about 21 and have kept putting this next step off for a long time. Like everything, I'm terrified of failing, ergo put it off. If I fail, I'm pretty much screwed. I might have time to take the test once more before my licence expires. I pray it doesn't come to that. I'm really not a great driver (I hope they don't ask me to parallel park), so I really don't know how this will go. Right now, I'm a loser, but at least I'm a loser with a car. I don't think I could bare to be without one. Also, I don’t think it’ll help me any with the ladies. A guy who lives at home and doesn’t drive. Real catch. Wish me luck.

Secondly, I was having conversation with an MSN random last night regarding birthdays. She had her screen name as something like "4 Days 'till by B-Day", this being by no means the first MSN person to in essence advertise their upcoming birthday on MSN. Out of curiosity, I asked why she did it. She didn't really know why. Just to solicit birthday well wishes from MSN strangers, she supposed. All of her friends were well aware that her birthday (her 20th) was coming up. Also she was just excited that it was coming up. Fair enough. I for one do NOT care for my birthday for reasons that I don't care to (or need to) get into. Despite this, it would still make me feel wanted, loved, remembered, all that to be wished a "happy birthday". This year, I received ONE call wishing me a happy birthday (from my uncle). One friend (who longer speaks to me), emailed to wish me a happy birthday (his is two days after mine, not hard to forget). I know that people are busy and not all are good at remembering dates (I am, but in fairness, I'm the minority). I myself have a pretty good memory for dates and I don't remember everyone's birthday. Not everyone is expected to remember, but it would be nice if SOMEONE did. Forgetting the exact date is easy to do, but you'd think someone would have said, "Oh, your birthday is coming up" or something. Nope. My MSN friend said that if I were so hung up on people wishing me a "happy birthday" I should be more pro-active, if not go so far as to throw myself a party, at least gently remind people or do as she did, advertise it on MSN. I actually took her advice on the latter (though my birthday is in April) and did receive 8 or 9 well wishes, which was nice. I, of course immediately informed the kind well-wishers, that it was NOT my birthday, but thanked them for their kind words (one person seemed rather disgusted at the whole experiment, sadly). The bottom line is while my MSN friend won the bet over whether people do care; it would still be nice if I were remembered as well.

Maybe I just can't have it both ways, i.e. hate my birthday and still expect people to remember it. Maybe I'm not memorable enough. It's just nice having people think about you, even when you're not around and not necessarily on your birthday. But it's a good example. It must be a nice feeling to know that people are thinking about you.

8 Comments:

Blogger Daphne said...

I think you hit the nail right on the head there. You can't go on about how much you hate birthdays and still expect birthday well-wishes. I think it's pretty self-centered to expect people to wish you a happy birthday when they know your response will be along the lines of "Uh, thanks. I hate birthdays. They always make me (insert unhappy emotion here)." If they know the happy birthday wish isn't going to make you feel good at all, why would they go out of their way to give it? Just like they wouldn't throw a surprise party for someone who genuinely hates surprises. Or has a weak bladder. Either/or.

And yes, I was rather disgusted with your 'experiment to see if anyone cares.' I saw it as tasteless attention-seeking.

(why pull punches Daph? How do you really feel?)

August 09, 2005 11:45 PM  
Blogger Daphne said...

Oh, but good luck on the road test!

August 09, 2005 11:58 PM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

I appreciate your honesty. It was tasteless attention seeking, though in my defence, it actually wasn't my idea for once.

And thanks. I'll need it!

August 10, 2005 12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Hippo,

If the road test does not go as planned, may I suggest a tip. Book it in Hamilton on Kenora Road in Stoney Creek.

Not only did I block a driveway during emergency stop, not look enough during intersections, panic when getting onto the highway and botch my parallel park to the shit, I still passed.

Tips: When merging onto the highway, make sure you reach the speed limit of the highway before merging. If the highway limit is 100 and you are going 90, automatic fail.

Second, emergency stop requires a signal, a pull over (don't block anything) 4 way flashers, car off, emergency brake. Just a quick reminder, as it will probably be requested.

When passing on the highway, look once, signal, look again, then pass. Hands on 10 and 2. Make sure to use hand-over-hand turning.

Good luck, the G lisense is a magnificent thing.

(heart) Dave

August 10, 2005 1:00 AM  
Blogger Daphne said...

My test in London was equally easy. I did the whole thing with my parking brake half engaged (Keep in mind that this was when I was 17). Not enough that there was a grinding noise or anything, but I certainly couldn't speed. I knew it was on as I was pulling out of the ministry, but figured 'meh - it's not my car, and if I disengage it now, he'll definitely notice it.' It wasn't until we pulled back into the ministry and I backed into a parking space that it made a horrid noise. I still passed, but he said "you should wait a few seconds longer before you change lanes, check intersections more, and uh, don't drive with your parking brake on."

Still passed. Nice.

August 10, 2005 7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like people who were born in April. (I read a study recently that said we automatically feel closer with people who share birthdays with ourselves or family members. It supposedly makes us feel familiar.) Happy Birthday.

August 10, 2005 3:34 PM  
Blogger Amberly said...

BTW, make sure your emergency brake works in the first place. I got asked by the test lady to check my emegergency brake before the test started and I almost couldn't take my test becuase it didn't work properly. (and when I say didn't work properly, what I really mean is, it didn't work at all). Luckily, I managed to fake it working and she said "That's good enough for me! Let's roll!" She was a nice lady.

August 10, 2005 4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Take care.

July 09, 2011 3:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker