Saturday, April 26, 2008

Things I hate (pretty much everything except Bobo)

I am really tired, rather depressed and just not in a good zone right now, for a number of reasons.

Firstly it was a very trying day at work today, also for a number of reasons. I hate hot paint department girl. Not because of anything she's done to me though. She's actually really sweet and friendly, has a great positive attitude, a beautiful smile and looks really great in tight jeans. She, like any other young lady who is even remotely intelligent, attractive and interesting is probably so far out of my reach, that I am probably really close to soon becoming a full blown alcoholic. I just want to die.

I also have no future. I'm pretty much done school. I have ZERO options open to me. Everyone always assumes that with my English degree I'm going to become a teacher. Of course this is what EVERYONE says to me and I (politely as I can after hearing this 142 times) tell them that it's not that simple and would involve another year of schooling. Firstly it's too late to apply, secondly I'd probably not get in anywhere (my marks aren't good enough and I lack volunteer experience) and most importantly need to start turning a profit, not hemorrhaging more money. I have no solution to the fact that I have no future and it further complicates the above problem, as women don't want dudes with shitty jobs that live with their parents. Perhaps if I were better looking or had something else going for me.

I hate the Toronto Transit Commission. After apparently reaching a new work agreement in good faith last weekend, the union's membership voted down the recommended agreement last night and went on strike last night around midnight with about an hour's notice, stranding countless Torontonians. Never mind the fact that they got a sweet deal, one which will last only three years, at which point they'll be able to hold the city hostage yet again. The fact that they couldn't have at least waited until the next day is beyond irresponsible and malicious. Why people put with these union shenanigans is beyond me. Every single one of these people should be fired and the TTC privatized, with the jobs being contracted out to avoid horse shit like this. Ordering them back to work isn't enough, even with the spineless NDP supporting the move. It's unacceptable and I hope that the people of Toronto have zero sympathy with the union goons who put their own selfishness above that of the other three million plus who live in the city.

I hate the Blue Jays. They fucking suck. Hardcore. They can't score with runners in scoring position if their lives depended on it. FUCK. This was all I had to look forward to this summer and it's already unraveling before the end of April.

Anyways, I'm still working on the movie list, though it might still be a while. I have some family stuff tomorrow, plus I need to get some studying done and the fact that I drink also slows things down quite a bit. But it's coming, eventually. Hope you're all well and enjoying yourselves, wherever you are!

5 Comments:

Blogger Natmac said...

Hey Mike,

In terms of the school thing, you do have some options open to you. Two of them. 1) You either find a way to make your English degree an asset in finding you a better career, or 2) you continue to work low-paying jobs which do not challenge you intellectually. You're an extremely intelligent guy Mike, you'll find a way to make it work. Know that there are lots of people in the same boat as you. Myself, I have a Film Studies degree!!! Again, not very practical but I'm going to make it work. I'm not willing to write off those 4 years of school. If you really want to teach, then find a way to do it. Doesn't matter if it takes a long time to get started. Just keep saving up and the time will come. If you don't want to teach then find some other way to use your degree. It's a respectable area of study and will look good on a resume to most places you'll apply to. Some other alternatives? Perhaps write a book or pursue a path in journalism. You're too smart to just give up though.

All the best,

Rich

P.S. The strike is lame! It ruined my weekend off.

P.P.S. You hate the Jays, I hate the Raptors. They break my heart every playoff season.

April 27, 2008 9:04 AM  
Blogger Daphne said...

Hey Mike,

Honestly man, you need to stop looking at an English degree as a ticket to poverty. Yours truly has one, and I also spent 4 years answering, "no, I'm not going to teach English." My English degree put me at the head of the class in my field of corporate communications - all those essays paid off. And all it took to get me here was 1 year of college after my degree.

Natmac is right: you just need to find a way to make it work for you. Maybe you should consider teaching abroad for a year. You could make some decent money, see new things, find out if teaching is up your alley, and it would force you out of the rut you're in.

Oh, and by the way - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

~Daph

April 27, 2008 12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday

japan.


d

April 28, 2008 7:30 AM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

Rich, you are of course 100% right. I guess my biggest problem is that I just don't know what in the hell it is I even want to do, what my options are, what's open to me, what I should be considering, etc. I know that I'm a pretty smart guy (thanks for saying it though), I just don't know what my next step is going to be and that is really very scary. I don't want to go with option #2, but what else is there?

Daphne, I'm glad you can relate. Sometimes I get so close to punching people when they say "Oh, so you're going to be a teacher?".
It really gets on my nerves. Yes, it's something I'm now considering, but it's not something I'm super high on.

Anyways, I need to finish my last few exams, get through that, then start worrying.

And thanks for the b-day wishes guys!

April 28, 2008 9:36 PM  
Blogger Daphne said...

I totally relate, my friend - especially since I absolutely did not want to teach (I LOVED English, and couldn't imagine teaching a bunch of kids who couldn't care less, save one or two per semester). But, I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do otherwise.

Travel was the thing that cleared my head. It was the best thing I ever did (don't tell my husband I said that ;)

Anyway, best of luck on the exams.

April 28, 2008 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker