Thursday, January 26, 2006

She actually ordered a hot chocolate

Sorry about all the political stuff over the last little while. This isn't a political blog and I really don't have any desire for it to be. I'll just finish by saying that we do have a new government and a new Prime Minister. Again, while not as great a mandate as I would have hoped for, I think Stephen Harper will make a fantastic leader for Canada. Before you rush to all sorts of judgments, give him and the Conservative Party a chance. That's all I ask. If they really are a bunch of extreme right-wing nuts, vote them out in a year or two. Not so unreasonable, is it?

Now, back to business, namely my crummy life. More bitching and complaining about how I have no life, no friends, no girls, no car, no prospects? Yeah! That's what everyone is here for, so let's give you good folks what you want.

Yesterday was Robert Burns day, which I used as an excuse to get smashed off of Scotch. By myself. What a shock. I also had coffee...with cute red headed girl. First off, let me note as an aside, that she really isn't a red head. Her hair is dyed a sort of bright orange-ish red. She told me so, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that this isn't anywhere close to her natural colour. Her complexion is actually probably darker than mine. But I digress.

So after the little post-it note she left me, I added her to MSN, like she suggested. I finally decided to initiate a conversation with her on Tuesday night. At first it went slowly, but then we started discussing movies, music (we have similar tastes), class, acting and really a wide range of subjects. At one point, she correctly guessed what my background was (based on my last name). She said that I looked like it, while she commented that she looked like nothing. I replied with "Awww, well you do look pretty". Maybe I shouldn't have said that, but she seemed okay with it. We chatted for probably close to two hours. She mentioned how she wasn't looking forward to waking up early to attend the film screening the next day and I told her that I had gotten a copy of the film, so as to watch it on my own time. She asked if she could borrow it, to which I said "of course". She asked my when my classes were on Wednesday and I told her. She said she could meet me right before my evening class, if that was okay, to borrow the movie. At this point she also asked for my cell phone number, as well as giving me hers. Sweet! I then felt bold enough to make her a counter-proposal. Perhaps instead, we could meet an hour before the time she suggested, after her class was done and maybe grab a coffee. She said 'sure'. Things are actually going well. Wow! I told her I had to wrap up our conversation and go do some stuff. She replied with "awww :(". So she enjoyed talking to me and is sorry to see our conversation end! So far, so good.

The next day, I trek downtown an hour earlier than usual. I get there a bit early and wait. She shows up. Man, maybe things are going to work out for once. We grab our coffees, sit down and start to talk. Good conversation, no lulls. I don't really remember what we were talking about this time; I guess I was just so happy to be there. I do remember her laughing at several points, so I must have been witty. Good for me. When I mentioned that I took a nerdy Lord of the Rings course last year, she even responded with how she wanted to take that course. Man, I can't lose. Maybe today, life is good to me. And then it happens.

I start talking about the fact that I really don't know too many people on campus and how that can be a bit frustrating. "What about you?", I ask. It hits. "Well, my boyfriend goes here, but he's an engineering student, so I never really see him when he's down here. He's usually very busy". I knew it. I knew that it was too good to be true. I had even predicted this in past blog entries. My theory is correct. The only attractive girls who are even willing to talk to me are those who already have boyfriends. It NEVER fails.

So we talked a little more. Five o'clock rolled around, I had to go to my class. I gave her the movie, we parted ways. Saw her again today in tutorial. She gave me the movie back. We exchanged a few words, I wished her a good weekend and went on solitary way. As I turned, I saw her packing her things up, talking on the phone. I'll bet you my bottom dollar she was talking to her boyfriend. Hopefully, he's very happy. If I can't be, at least some dudes are.

*Update*

Like many of my blog articles, I'm writing this whilst at work and posting it when I get home. Shortly after I wrote this entry, a very cute girl came into the store, looking for a gift for her mother. Working in a mostly men's shop, I don't get many cute girls coming in. Anyhow, this one was cute and being super-flirty with me! She was smiling and laughing and seemed to really like me. When I asked her what she had in her bag, she replied that it was her boyfriend's gift to her mom. Of course she has one. Never fails. So does the cute girl at the hair salon next door, the hot girl at the massage store, Starbucks girl and EVERY other attractive girl I know who even acknowledges my existence.

7 Comments:

Blogger Amberly said...

Man, that freaking sucks, but that red head totally led you on. She should have mentioned something about her boyfriend before the 2hr conversation and the coffee. I have a boyfriend, and I wouldn't even think about having coffee with another guy.

January 27, 2006 8:45 AM  
Blogger Beer said...

really squirrely? not even coffee?

January 27, 2006 10:43 AM  
Blogger Daphne said...

Hmm, I would - but it would be clear from the start that it's just a friendly coffee and nothing more.

January 27, 2006 10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOLD UP!!!

See, while the rest of you prefer to take the glass half empty approach, I'm an optimist. Think about what she said here.

"My boyfriend is in engineering and I don't get to see him much."

Now, this sounds like a deal breaker, while i think it sounds like a deal maker. Ok, obviously things in happyville are not too happy, why would she go out for coffee with Hippo, flirt and stuff.

Now, Hippo, before you throw in the towel and start being all emo, perhaps future conversations are in the works. Seriously, when are people not looking to up the ante?

Perhaps shes looking for a replacement because current "Mr. Wonderful" is actually a tech-geek or has only one leg or something. I know alot of kids in engineering at Mac, and let me say, they ain't the cream of the crop, save myself, or at least, I used to be.

Anyways, the point of this rant: don't give up yet! She could be just testing the waters in search of a new, better "Mr. Wonderful"

(heart) Dosi

January 27, 2006 2:16 PM  
Blogger Daphne said...

Y'know what, Dosi might be right. Perhaps she doesn't really fancy her engineer these days.

And another outcome of you befriending her might be meeting other girls who aren't dating engineers (sidebar on that: my boyfriend is an engineer too, and most of his friends are not what you would call "catches") Cute girls have cute friends, that's just the way it goes.

And at the very least, you've made a friend through it all. There's a lot to be said for having a platonic friend to complain about class with and to have coffee with when the mood strikes.

January 27, 2006 3:21 PM  
Blogger Beer said...

yes yes and yes. the coffee was a good sign regadless of if she has a boyfriend. actually, it's for the better that she does. Allow me to explain.

This is a philosophy advocated by the very wise Chuck Klosterman. Lets first assume that you have no qualms about stealing this guy's girlfriend if they're unhappy. Now when it comes to trying to pick up a single girl, you're esentially competing with all the other men in the world (or let's say, the GTA). Singl girl's frame of refrence is enormous, as she's comparing you to pretty much every guy she's ever met, and a few she hasn't.

But if she has a boyfriend, you just have to be better than that one guy. That's it. If you can be more attentive and thoughtful than mr. protracter, you're golden.

January 27, 2006 8:01 PM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

Hmm, now I don't know what to think....I was pretty bummed out about this, but now you people have got my wheels spinning.

Firstly, I'm not sure if she has any hot friends, Daphne. She did say something about the fact that she doesn't have many 'girlfriends', they've all gone away to university etc. If this is the case, most of her friends are dudes and thus, I'm sure there's nothing out of the ordinary to her going out with a guy to coffee. For all I know, she has lots of guy friends that she regularly goes out to coffee with. That being the case, the odds are not in my favour.

But should I totally discount Dosi's theory? I mean, it's worth at least a shot, yes? But how do I go about this. I mean it would be nice to have her as a friend I suppose, but I'll make no secret to you fine people of the fact that I'm much more interested in being a 'friend'. I could very easily fuck up both options. Lord knows I have before and that took me a very long time to get over (if I even am over it).

So I just don't know. Maybe I should just give up and stick to being nice, but not too nice. I just don't think I'm funny / charming / clever / attractive enough to pull this off.

January 27, 2006 10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker