Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Yes, I do envy the dead

Pretty shocking is the death of actor Heath Ledger yesterday. Not one that you'd have seen coming and whoever had him in their death pool must have made off with a lot of points. He was only 28, an age that I'll reach in less than two years. It really fills my head with a great many thoughts and as usual none of them are positive.

Like I've already stated, Heath was only 28 and in his short life achieved more than I ever will. While I should feel bad for someone like him dying as young as he did, I really do envy him. Never mind the fact that he was an Academy Award nominated actor, about to appear in what's sure to be a smash-hit summer movie (the next Batman). Never mind that he was already a father. Or even the fact that he was surely banging hot women left and right. Michelle Williams at the very least, also Heather Graham and Naomi Watts most likely. I envy the fact that so many people were so saddened at his passing. I always wonder if anyone would care if I were to turn up dead tomorrow. It could very well happen, perhaps even in a similar fashion. I'm often careless with pills and alcohol in fact. Now I know that I wouldn't have throngs of people outside my home or people leaving flowers and such. I can certainly live with that. But I do have the suspicion that outside of family and perhaps a few other people, my funeral would be quite poorly attended. Usually when someone young passes away it's unexpected and often considered 'tragic'. Usually leads to a greater outpouring of general grief. Logic seems to dictate that the younger one is the more people attending your funeral (i.e. everyone you know is still alive etc). But I don't see that happening if I were to drop dead and that depresses me to no end. I don't see myself as having affected a lot of people' or anything like that. In fact I haven't accomplished jack shit.

No, I don't think the world would be any poorer at all for having lost me. I can't see any tributes, no matter how small they might be. Perhaps only "Here lies Kid Icarus, he never amounted to anything or really touched any lives. Good riddance". I can say with a pretty great degree of certainty that said epitaph would be pretty accurate. I could count on my hands the number of people who would miss me and though I do suppose quality counts over quantity I still have very little to boast about. It would be a very cheap funeral indeed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Beer said...

Of course you'd be missed. Of course.

January 24, 2008 12:54 PM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

Thanks chum, you're very kind to say that. I know that there would be people who would miss me, I just don't think it would be a great number. Again, I know that quantity ain't everything and all. It still makes me sad to think that I really haven't affected a great number of lives in any significant way.

January 27, 2008 1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker