Friday, April 13, 2007

A post before bed

Two posts in one day? Lordy. I guess I'm trying to catch up and / or give you folks your money's worth. Even though I am exhausted, simply beyond weary, beyond the point where I'm actually drifting off to sleep and unable to keep my eyes open. This feels different. Though I got a fairly decent night's sleep last night, I feel (and no doubt look) like hell. Needless to say, it's been a long week. Am I glad it's over? I think I am, though I'm never really sure how I feel and I'm never sure if I'm ever actually happy no matter what the circumstances.

Ever since my awful, AWFUL date (which is really the last notable thing to have happened since my blog hiatus, so we're effectively up to date) I've found myself adrift and without purpose. I mean why do I even get up in the morning? It's just going to be another shitty day. God, the weather has been atrocious. I think it's been below seasonal every day so far this month, probably for the last three weeks in fact. It's been seriously cold. And rainy. Or even worse, snowy. Redonculous. I've never bought into the whole global warming myth and my first hand non-scientific research (i.e. stepping outside) has disproved the whole thing. If that fat, lying sack of shit Al Gore was here right now, I'd sock him in the mouth. The world is getting warmer than it was a million years ago, when the cavemen were outside with their digital thermometers keeping detailed track of the weather. What a crock of shit to sell books and movie tickets. If the message was "Yeah, maybe due to human activity it's gotten marginally warmer, but we have to remember that the earth goes through climate changes anyways and this is probably just one of them and yes it would be good to cut down a bit on emissions, but it's no real biggie" no would buy it. People love alarmist horseshit like the junk science that he's peddling. But I digress. The weather is making me sad.

So I'm tired. My sleep has been sporadic of late. School related really. But my last class was yesterday. So other than two exams later this month, I'm done. And I need to find a job. A real job this summer. For the first time in years. And it scares the living hell out of me because I have NO idea how to look for one, it's been so long. Maybe I'll apply for Don Imus' old spot.

Isn't that a crock of shit or what? Now I've never actually listened to his show (I'm not usually up that early) but why was this even an issue? In jest he referred to the Rutgers women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hoes". Um, so? Referring to one's hair as "nappy" is apparently a derogatory term used towards African-Americans. But did you know that there is a hair salon in my city called "Nappy's" which caters to a black clientele? Many black people have hair of different consistency than others, so I don't see anything wrong with a "Black" hair salon. I'm no stylist, but it's probably different to cut and style, thus the need for a place which specializes in it. Seems like it makes sense to me. But the place is called Nappy's now, isn't it? So is it racist as well? I don't know for certain, but if I were to take a guess, it's probably owned by and run by African-Americans (or Canadians in this case). So this makes it okay and not a racist word! Oh and here's another thing: IT'S A WORD USED TO DESCRIBE HAIR. Who cares? Christ. As for the second part of the remark, I'm not even going to comment on the fact if he used the word 'ho' without the nappy part preceding it, there would have been no controversy. Maybe the folks at Rutgers would have been offended, but Al Sharpton (and other liberal goons) sure wouldn't have given a damn. And above all, it was a simple little joke. Fuck. It wasn't some insane Michael Richard's style rant (which DID warrant controversy and WAS disgusting). Silly and juvenile perhaps. Racist and sexist? Give me a fucking break. Lighten up. Imus' big mistake was apologizing and saying that he had said something wrong. He didn't, but I guess it's too late now. Shame on CBS and MSNBC for bowing to the "pressure" (from who, I'm not even sure) and striking another blow against freedom of expression in the United States.

Now this post has gone on too long. I had a lot of stuff to talk about, but as usual I've digressed beyond the point of reason. I've been pretty irritable and such lately, something which I'm going to again blame on the weather. I'll return next time (hopefully tomorrow) with a true review of my week, my thoughts on the end of the school year and my utter sense of dread regarding the upcoming summer. Should be a blast!!

9 Comments:

Blogger Daphne said...

Wow. I mean, Wow. You think that global warming is a crock of shit?

Wow.

April 15, 2007 9:18 AM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

It is something which has been grossly overstated in an effort to sell books and movie tickets (like I previously said) but more importantly in order to win votes. Amazingly 'climate change' has become a hot button issue among voters in Canada as well as the United States. Left wing parties were pretty smart to quickly attach themselves to it and the whole alarmist, doomsday approach.

"Hey, we have all this junk science saying that unless you vote for us and our green platform (or whatever), the world is screwed".

And to the credit of those peddling this nonsense, it's worked and people have pretty much bought it. They found an issue they could exploit and exagerate and it's worked. Good for them. That's pretty much how I feel in a nutshell.

April 15, 2007 1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Politics is where Mike and I disagree alot. Basically, his conservative party did not latch onto the global warming trolley fast enough, so they gotta go outright and bash it. Had the conservatives latched onto it before the greeners and eventually liberals, we'd be hearing a whole different tune (not just from Mike, but from people in general). Now what if everyone just said yes, its a problem, lets try and fix it. Then it couldn't be used as a political platform, and we could actually get down to business. Whatever.

(heart) Dosi

April 15, 2007 10:00 PM  
Blogger K. said...

Imus made a stupid comment. It was unfairly critical of some young women who had a very successful basketball season. that's all...

It wasn't funny. It was mean. I am suprised he lost his job over it though...he's been a much bigger jerk in other instances....and he's nowhere as obnoxious as Glenn Beck.

April 16, 2007 2:43 AM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

Mean, stupid, unfunny and unfair? Absolutely, I can agree with that.

Racist and sexist? Sorry but no. Worth any sort of controversy to the point of being fired? Come on. Because Al Sharpton didn't like it, there's automatically a problem.

April 16, 2007 1:22 PM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

Actually you're quite wrong Dosi. Though I am a proud conservative (both small and large case 'c') I'm not someone who's always partisan, someone who just goes around towing the party line, whatever that means. The reason I bash global warming isn't because I "didn't get on the trolly" soon enough, but because I think it's largely nonsense, like I already stated.

I am however very happy to give various parties their due, those who were clever enough to convince people that we're all fucked and make it an issue as important as taxes, defence, health care, etc. when again things are nowhere near as dire as Mr. Gore and his ilk claim.

April 16, 2007 1:24 PM  
Blogger cutekilla said...

I don't think it's been overstated to sell movie tickets dude. If anything it was in an attempt to convince people that their excessive consumption of fossil fuels is a problem - which it IS!!!

Maybe you should take a few science classes over at old U of T before you go calling the whole thing "nonsense". I'm all for not buying everything the media shoves down our throats, but the fact remains that global warming is a real effect - ever heard of a little planet called Venus? The whole thing is superheated now because of an accelerated greenhouse effect. And your argument about it being cold outside in April is completely invalid because that's a WEATHER effect, not a CLIMATE effect. In fact, the weird weather patterns could be a symptom of the increasing amounts of energy in the atmosphere disrupting and re-routing ocean and wind currents so the warm spring air doesn't make it up here when it should!

Now, I'm not saying that all of the jazz and pizazz on TV is true (it never is), but with your human-animal intuition you should be able to sense that something in our environment is shifting, in a non-geo-political sense. More like in a primal, natural, "here comes a mass extinction" sense. You're not alarmed by increasing numbers of storms, high winds, tornadoes, (I already know what you think about hurricanes...)? It doesn't feel off to you?

Now, I do agree that you can argue the science both ways, but human intuition has always played a key role in the acceptance of a scientific theory - given that almost any theory you could come up with would be underdetermined by the empirical evidence. We'll never know if it's true until it happens, because it's never happened before.

Anyhow, I don't even really think that climate change is the big issue in terms of being "green" - the real challenge is to make people realize that western consumerism is fucking up the global ecosystem, not just for wild creatures, but all of us. Anyhow, now you can think about that when you wake up in the morning, instead of about how you have no reason to live.

Oh, and the entire purpose of a comment like "nappy-headed ho" is to demean and degrade the person at which it is aimed for no reason other than their race and gender. It's a low blow, like if I went on my radio show and called you a - oh wait, there is no deep-seated cultural bias that I can throw at you WHITE MALE 25-35 YEARS-OLD!!!

Thanks for coming out to the show, by the way! It was nice to have you there, even if I do think you need a bitch slapping from Sean Connery.

April 17, 2007 4:57 PM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

ARRRGGHH! I've debated this issue so much lately that I can barely stand to do so anymore. Just this past weekend at a nice, peaceful family dinner, my sister and I had a heated debate over it (my aunt brought up Mr. Gore's film). I just can't seem to escape having to debate people, everywhere I go. Though my 15 year old cousin (!!) was on my side for this one, so I'm happy to say that conservatives might just have a bright future after all.

To clarify, I was being a bit glib with the movie ticket comment. The real end goal is more to buy votes than to sell tickets. I'm not saying that man hasn't done any harm, I'm saying that the whole global warming phenomenon has been massively overexagerated. Yes, there is such a thing as a 'greenhouse effect', even on a planet where there is no life (or so we believe...).

Cutting down on emissions and all that shit is just fine by me, not like I'm saying "hey, let's pump more crap into the air". But things aren't nearly as dire as the tree hugging freaks would have you believe, that's all. Yes let's be environmental, but there's no need to go into panic mode over it. I'm also quite aware of the difference between weather and climate, I was also being a bit facetious there.

Also, I'd be more than happy to cut down our dependence on fossil fuels. The less money the west pumps into a certain country (considered an 'ally') is just fine by me.

As for the Imus thing, I will ALSO agree that it was a low-blow, both demeaning and degrading. But no one is going to convince me that it was particularly racist or sexist, because it wasn't. It was just silly name calling, something people are seemingly unable to handle.

Finally thanks for having me, I had fun. Even if I had NO idea what was going on, it was still cool!

April 18, 2007 12:16 AM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

Oh and speaking of "western consumerism", isn't China the biggest polluter of all, lagging decades behind most western nations (including the United States) in regards to environmental legislation?

April 18, 2007 12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker