Saturday, January 06, 2007

My drunken year in review!

So last year I did this elaborate, well thought out year in review post, that I probably put a lot of effort into. I'm sure edited and spell checked and revised it a million times and all that. This year is going to be a bit different! This is going to be totally off the cuff, just whatever I feel right now about 2006. I will still spell check, but it's going to be (for the most part) just a visceral look back at how this past year went. Also please note, I am rather inebriated, so do bear with me if I ramble somewhat. Hopefully this is still an enjoyable post!

Friends: Very sadly, I spent almost the entire year without the company of me best mate, D Rock. He's off teaching in Japan and it's pretty much his home now. He has been back for the past two weeks, but unfortunately, he's leaving again tomorrow and I don't know when I'll see him again. In the past two weeks I've probably been up to more than I have in the past two months. Yeah, I guess I do have other folks that I hang out with here and there, such as Marty Boy, Beer, Selena, etc. but it's a whole other ballgame when D Rock is around. I actually seem to go out and do shit. Otherwise, my life is pretty empty for the most part. There are a lot of decent folk I know, some of whom read this, who I'd love to hang out with more, but sadly I don't get the chance. So overall, 2006 was pretty lonely on the friend front. Will '07 be the same? We shall have to wait and see.

Still 'learning': The school. Still with the fucking school. I'm 25 FUCKING years old and STILL working on an undergrad. Sad. That being said, I am half-way through. This is actually one of the facets of my life in which I don't feel so bad. Yes, I'm now more than half done with it and I haven't failed anything yet, though I still am checking my astronomy mark every day, to see if I passed. I still haven't made any real friends, but I do thing I'm doing better in that respect at the moment than I have so far. And other than that one course, I feel at least OKAY about all my other courses right now. So, fingers crossed, this might be working out right now.

Swedish Luxury Vehicles: Y'know, my dad actually wanted to name me 'Volvo' as a joke? I'm not kidding. If you want the full story, ask my mum about it. It's pretty funny. But this is another good thing about 2006. I bought my first car, in my own name. Yes, it is a 1989 Volvo 740, but I love it and it runs just fine. There really is nothing quite like the freedom of owning your own vehicle and despite the absurd amount I pay for insurance every month, I still think it's worth it.

Mothers, fathers, sisters: My family life on the other hand, is so badly fucked up, that I don't even wish to go into it here. It just got worse over the course of the year, though I guess I have become somewhat numb towards the whole thing. It's something I pretend no longer affects me, but I'm not so sure I've successfully made it so.

MUSIC....Makes the people...come together: Oh the band. Our beloved unnamed band. Man, the one thing I've always wanted, is to be in a band. It started out a couple of years back and was a dream come true for me. Has the dream been shattered? Man, I wish the band would come back together. I've been writing a few songs, some which are actually half-decent. Then again, after my dreadful performance at the Tweed Blazer thing, am I even fit to be a lead singer? Can I go on with the whole thing, with the memory of her hanging over the whole thing? Do any of these questions matter? Perhaps 2007 will tell.

Give me love: Well, still haven't found it or even come close. In this respect, I may have had a worse year than 2005. In '05, at least I went on quite a few dates, even if I didn't get laid until late in the year (after a long downtime). For the most of this year, I had NOTHING. Yes, I did get some towards the end, but overall, it's been a very shitty year. And what in the hell am I going to do in 2007 to meet women? Shoot, I was lost for almost all of this year. Am I just going to be waiting one year between partners? Wow, that would suck.

Still blogging: There are many days where I want to just call it quits, but often the blogging can be rewarding. I keep folks who are far away up to date and I meet nice people, either in person (like Sam, sad I haven't seen you since H2O) or in cyberspace (like Katie G). And though I do get lazy and neglect doing so, I do like writing. This year I have no trouble picking my favourite post, for instance. Though others may have drawn more comments, this one is, in my opinion, the most interesting blog post of the year. Perhaps you may disagree, if so, please let me know.

Overall however: I just don't know. Was this a better year than 2005? I'm going to venture and say no. Though not by much. However, do I have some hope for 2007? Yeah, a little more than I did for '06. The last New Year's, I was ready to throw myself over Niagara Falls and end it all. I may not exactly be brimming with optimism here, but I suppose anything is better than that. Yes, I still am hung up over some girl I just saw for the first time in almost two years. That is pretty pitiful. Am I over her? No, I'll admit that. It's hard when you don't know if you'll ever meet anyone you really like again. That's how I feel. If there is one thing I could wish for this year, I think you all know what it is. Just somebody to love. That's it. It still seems like it'll never happen.

5 Comments:

Blogger King Hippo said...

Guh?

January 08, 2007 12:05 AM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

Buh?

January 08, 2007 2:06 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

I have no intelligent comment but I want to see the next letter you'll put before "uh."

January 08, 2007 8:29 PM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

I know, silly folks. I'm actually a very big Robert Burns fan and if you ever want to hear his poetry read REALLY FUCKING WELL, get me to read you some. I do the accent and everything. I read you that mouse poem and you'll be moved to tears, that's a guarantee.

January 10, 2007 12:11 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Oh, I was hoping you'd say "Kuh?"

January 10, 2007 9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker