Monday, April 23, 2007

The orginal Tabasco is still the best

This was a rough weekend. I think I almost died, I'm not sure. I might also be on the verge of a complete nervous breakdown. Instead of studying for an exam like I was supposed to last night, I spent the evening recovering from my codeine water / tequila binge and then watching Spider-Man on TBS while for some reason gathering up every different bottle of hot sauce I have in the house and doing some sort of taste test. I think. At least that's what I remember. I was planning on studying more this morning but hit the snooze and slept in for an extra hour and a half. It's going to get to the point very soon where I won't be able to drag myself out of bed at all, I can feel it. A few thoughts though before I lose my mind.

1. I find this story not only very disturbing but also a sickening piece of political posturing. Christ, you're not a FUCKING MAN. Get the fuck over it. If you want to run for Prom Queen, go for it. Or Prom-Transwhatever, sure. Nothing is sacred, I swear.

2. I really am amazed he lasted this long. But I do have to pay my respects to a man who did a lot towards ridding the world of the evil that was communism. Yes Boris Yeltsin was far from perfect but he really did a lot in respects towards easing the transition towards democracy and I hope history remembers him so. Gorbachev's comments couldn't have been any less classy though, eh?

3. Gee, this is a shock that no one saw coming. Everyone and their dog knew that she wouldn't work out and yet still they give Katie Couric $15 million a year to host the CBS Evening News. The rating go up for like a week and half but now CBS is back in third place. What a surprise. Watch Brian Williams. Now watch Charles Gibson. Now flip over to Katie. She's not even close to being in league with those guys and it's costing CBS a bundle. Could've kept Bob Schieffer whose salary was a fraction a Katie's, not to mention the fact he's an real journalist, plus his ratings were higher. Whoops.

4. The Blue Jays finally won one tonight after dropping five straight. Those last five weren't pretty at all. Except for Aaron Hill and Johnny Mac (of all guys) the bats have been ice-cold and the bullpen has been looking pretty sad (last Thursday's game was just brutal). But tonight's game showed some signs of life, the Big Hurt hit a timely two-run shot, runs are being scored in the right situations and hopefully things will turn around. Troy Glaus should be back in a few days and stringing a few wins in a row together can go a long way towards boosting the team's confidence. I still think John Gibbons is more often than not FAR too eager to go to the bullpen. Sometimes it makes me nervous.

5. People are going to hate me because I pretty much agree with what Archbishop is saying, aren't they? Not to the same extreme perhaps, but the same basic sentiments. I wouldn't have used to word 'evil' for instance.

6. Very nice to hear this from Russell Simmons, someone I've always liked and respected. Unlike the partisan, self-serving and questionably sane Al Sharpton, Russell Simmons is truly one of the best spokesmen for the African-American community (in my opinion as a white dude) and just a fine American in general, someone who has always worked for civil rights causes and done so in non-partisan ways and with what seems like a genuine sense of caring and not just shameless self promotion. Good to see he doesn't like double standards either.

7. This is just bizarre. I don't even know what to say here. But I actually do think they make sort of a cute couple.



















Well that's it for now. I'm not feeling so good (mentally) so I think I'll go pop some pills and try to forget about all the stuff I have to do in the next few days. Sayonara faithful e-friends.

8 Comments:

Blogger K. said...

clearly you've never known a woman that's needed an abortion for medical reasons, or a woman who has had one following having been raped. you may reconsider your severe sentiments on the "evilness" of the medical procedure.

April 24, 2007 3:01 PM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

Like I said, I wouldn't have personally used the word 'evil' and it's the gay marriage which is referred to as such anyways. Abortion is referred to as terrorism.

April 24, 2007 8:24 PM  
Blogger cutekilla said...

Wow, dude. For someone who doesn't seem to care too much about what they do with their own life, you sure have a lot of firm opinions on what other people should and shouldn't do with theirs. OK, I know that was harsh, and I don't mean it disrespectfully, but in the spirit of grade 8 debate team I will quote the ever-wise Wacko Jacko, and say that you need to start talkin' to the man in the mirror before you tell others to change their ways.

Two comments:
(1) What the fuck do you care if a transgendered individual runs for prom king or queen? Are you really that invested in the integrity of the prom king/queen title or the sanctity of American high-school tradition? It's going to a vote anyhow, it's not like they're rail roading him/her through to make a statement - AND he/she didn't even nominate his/herself, the general population of the school did. I mean I could understand if you were worried about tarnishing your own prom king crown, but we all know you lost out on that race, despite a valiant campaign and more tears than we'd both care to remember.

(2) On gay marriage and abortion, I once again ask why the fuck you care. To me it all comes down to freedom of choice, which obviously not be to say that you aren't welcome to your own choices on the matters at hand. My real concern is that you seem to be occupied with the choices of other people who are not you, and whose choices on these matters would never come to affect you in any way. Do you really care which strangers marry which other strangers? Do you really feel that you or the world at large should have ownership over someone else's partially-developed embryo?

My suggestion is that you first work on figuring out things in life that actually work for you so you maybe enjoy yourself from time to time, and then maybe move on to worrying about what everyone else should be doing to get their rocks off. Perhaps you should open your horizons and try some new things... Having your very own abortion could be fun, no? Perhaps a few days as "Michelle" would loosen you up?

Meh, just think about it. Once again, more food for thought during that first depressing moment of the day.

April 25, 2007 12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Andrea;

I enjoy the way you talk and present an argument. If you are single and good looking, I suggest contacting me. Also, I will need to confirm you are not a dude.

(heart) Dosi

April 25, 2007 1:13 AM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

See here's the thing A-Mac, my firm opinions are just that: opinions. Alls I'm doing here is commenting on things that I've come across in the news, things that have piqued my interest and that I feel like piping up about.

I just don't think that my views on various issues has anything to do with my personal life and I'm not suggesting such in any way. My thoughts on these two issues are simply personal opinions. In no way does this prom business have any affect on my own life and I readily admit that. Now you're free to disagree with me about these things (which I encourage) but any bitching about my own life and my politics aren't related. I look at them as two distinct realms. Disagree with me, but don't drag my personal issues into such a debate. I don't see how they're relevant.

At any rate, perhaps I am talking about shit like this in order to forget about my painful life, yes. That I do admit. I am nowhere near 'figuring things out' anyways. And I will NOT be dressing in drag any time soon, sorry.

Again uh, those are simply my personal views. That's it. I'd argue with you more here, but I've already rambled on plenty and hate these long bloody comments. Don't think I'm giving up or anything. Just like back in grade 8, I can still clean your clock.

And yes Dosi, she is good-looking, is not a dude, but is sadly not single. She's way out of both of our leagues, especially mine (and especially yours).

This was mildly rambling, I know. Forgive me, I've had an odd day.

April 25, 2007 1:54 AM  
Blogger cutekilla said...

Haha, no worries Mike - just commenting that your opinions should be just as you said, personal choices about your own life. The rub for me is that all of your comments and opinions are about what other people should and shouldn't be able to do, and reacting to articles about situations not involving or even in the realm of issues you've ever had to directly deal with in your own life. You're just expressing disgust at other peoples' opinions and choices. It's one thing to say that you would never do something personally for whatever reason, but you must realize the implications of imposing these ideological choices on the world at large, which is effectively the stand you're taking. Example: I would never be a stripper, but I also don't look down on or condescend to people who make the opposite choice.

And you made my point for me when you got defensive about my bringing your personal life into it, for that is just what you're doing in commenting on the universal validity/invalidity of the personal life and choices of others. Politics are never separate from personal lives, because political decisions affect the personal life choices available to everyone in an infinite number of ways. Ya heard me? My point is that people on this planet spend way too much time concerned with making general rules that everyone else should have to live by, for this reason or that, and not enough time worrying about their own issues. I guess I'd have to include myself there, given the effort I've just put in to try and sway your opinion. It's not a judgement thing, and I certainly wasn't trying to tear you down by mentioning your own situation, just trying to give you a new perspective. Come on over to the pragmatic side...

Much love, and apologies to all for being un-single...

April 25, 2007 3:37 PM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

Hey, I agree with much of what you say. And at the end of the day, these are just my personal opinions that I'm throwing out there and I'm really not meaning to impose my own views on others. This is just me thinking out loud as it were on the issues of the day. I'm not trying to change anyone else's mind and I'd be fooling myself if I thought I'd have any chance at doing so.

I do understand that you aren't trying to judge me or whatever, my quibble was just with your saying that I should take care of my own shit before I look criticize others. If that were the case, they yes, I would agree with you. But as I've just said, I'm not so much criticizing as I am voicing an opinion. If I were saying something like "these gay people have to go and cure themselves" (or whatever) while I'm a miserable wretch in the meanwhile, then your point would be well founded. But I'm not.

See where I'm going with this? I'd continue on and on ad nauseam, but the wine is getting to me and I did want to get to a new post as well!

April 26, 2007 10:32 PM  
Blogger cutekilla said...

To be fair, you did write "Christ, you're not a fucking man. Get over it.", which seemed to imply a direct criticism of the specific individual mentioned in the article... But, in the spirit of birthday love, let's let it die. I think we both know where one another is coming from.

April 27, 2007 7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker