Sunday, July 01, 2007

Rang dang diggedy dang di-dang

So I'm wondering if I should just start posting on the random minutia of my life...just whatever useless and stupid things I did today or whatever is on my mind, no matter how trivial? I'm not sure if anyone will give a good God damn, but I'll give it a try, at least right now and perhaps for the near future. Or maybe this will be a one time thing, I'm not too sure. And yes, I have been drinking. Though not entirely alone today, so at least I'm slightly less pathetic.

Happy Canada Day, first off. I felt sort of patriotic today and asked if we sold Canadian flags at the store. Apparently we do but I couldn't find any. I still think I want to put one on my car at any rate. I was saying to someone that it doesn't seem like our national holiday is as big as July 4 is down south. For whatever reason we just don't seem to make as big to-do of it. I think that's too bad because Canada is a pretty good place to live. Certainly it's not perfect and there are things that I like better about the United States (politically mostly), but realistically these are probably the two best countries in the world and I think it's sort of fitting our national holidays are only days apart. I was going somewhere with this but now I've forgotten.

Seeing as it falls on a Sunday this year tomorrow is the actual statutory holiday, meaning I had to work today. Work was okay, not too busy. Just an average day, nothing really exciting. The cute girl in the paint department wasn't working though. As far as I can ascertain, she works the opposite weekend that I do, so I'll only ever see her during the week. Drag.

Went out for drinks with my pal Marty Boy after work. He gave me a call (on my sexy new phone!) as he's wont to do every now and then. Him and his long-time lady friend and I went to out favorite place. Nothing exciting, but always good to see the chap. Just a matter of time before those two get married. Would be nice, I think they're great for each other and plus I like weddings. And I do consider myself the front-runner for best man.

Two songs that I love and was listening to just now: "White Lines" by Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel and "Hello Goodbye" by The Beatles. Yes I still wish I could score some coke (which I think I have a beat on!), so I guess the song hasn't taught me anything. But I think along with "Under Pressure" and "Staying Alive" it has one of the all-time great bass riffs. And even though it seems like such a simple song and John Lennon was a bit resentful over the fact it was the A-side over "I Am the Walrus", Paul's "Hello Goodbye" has always been one of my fave Beatle tracks. I think the gentle simplicity is why I like it so much, plus the great melody and sing-along factor. I'm a 'Paul guy' remember.

Finally as a bonus to all my loyal readers, the first person to tell me where the quote underneath my blog's title come from WITHOUT looking it up (honour system please) will win an autographed picture of Bobo. Best of luck.

4 Comments:

Blogger Monica said...

I swear I heard or read that quote just the other day, but I can't, for the life of me, remember who said it. Damn, this is gonna bug me all day...

July 02, 2007 10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Antonio Salieri (F. Murray Abraham) in Amadeus. Undoubtedly one of my top 10 favourite movies of all time.

-Coop

July 02, 2007 2:04 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

Ahhhh yes, that is where it's from (the old guy in the mental hospital says it, right?). I watched Amadeus this weekend! What a weird coincidence.

July 02, 2007 3:24 PM  
Blogger King Hippo said...

Well done sir.

For the record Monica (and others) it's the last line of the film. I also consider it one of the very best films of all time and I'm amazed that it's not on the AFI's new Top 100 list, having been on the previous one. And F. Murray Abraham's performance is possibly one of the best ever captured on screen. Too bad he's never come close to matching it.

I will either send you your prize in the mail or whenever I see you next. At any rate it saves me from having to mail it all the way to Sweden! I will try to make it to your next show on the 13th so perhaps then. If not, I do hope you're still on for The Police the following weekend?

July 02, 2007 6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker